- Master of Journalism (MJ) – University of British Columbia
- 14 years in multimedia newsgathering
- Video Journalist, Reporter, TV News Anchor
- Strong on-air performance during live hits, live interviews and news reading
- ENG/EFP news camera operator
- AVID Media Composer & Final Cut Pro video editing
- Dalet & Audacity audio editing
- Proficient in all writing styles: television, radio and print/online
- Multi-platform digital and social media skills
- Strong researching, newsgathering and storytelling skills
- Quickly gains sources’ trust, approaches issues with respect
- Generates creative story ideas and treatments across platforms
- Passion for investigative reporting and storytelling that resonates
- Languages: English and Spanish; studying French
University of British Columbia: Master of Journalism
Media, education and society specialization; GPA 91.2% (A+)
University of Toronto: Honours Bachelor of Arts “with High Distinction” 2009
Political Science, Sociology & Spanish. GPA 3.75 (A)
Chinese University of Hong Kong: Human Rights, International Politics, 2008 – 2009
University of Guadalajara, Mexico: Spanish, Mexican Politics & Film, 2007
University of Guelph-Humber: Journalism & Media Studies, 2002 – 2004
2010 (SSHRC) Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council: Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship – Master’s Scholarship $17,500
2010 Graduate School of Journalism Entrance award $12,500
2009 University of Hong Kong Alumni Association Scholarship
2009 International Student Exchange Office Bursary
2008 Ontario International Education Opportunity Scholarship
2008 Dean’s List Scholar – Recognition for Exceptional Academic Achievement
2008 St. Michael’s College / C.L. Burton Trust Fund In-Course Scholarships
2008 Kurt Levy Family Latin American Studies Travel Grant
2007 Dean’s List Scholar – Recognition for Exceptional Academic Achievement
2007 St. Michael’s College / C.L. Burton Trust Fund In-Course Scholarships
ADDITIONAL MEDIA TRAINING
Rogers Television – Course: EFP/ENG News Camera Operation, 2005
Centennial College, School of New Media. Course: Non-linear editing with AVID, 2004
Humber College, Continuing Education. Course: Television News Reporting, 2002
Ryerson University, Continuing Education. Course: Interviewing for Journalists, 2002
VIDEO JOURNALIST, REPORTER, HOST – CBC News – Calgary
June 2015 – Present
Produce local coverage including to: World Report, CBC News Network, BBC World News.
Daily multimedia news gathering: file radio and TV stories, text-on-video for social media, write online copy, backfill as host of CBC Calgary News at 11.
VIDEO JOURNALIST, REPORTER – CBC News – Toronto & Newfoundland and Labrador
April 2013 – June 2015
The do-it-all job of VJ: pitching, researching, interviewing, filming, writing, editing and delivering daily news and current affairs stories for the country’s top-rated local CBC News shows
– Broad ranges of stories and treatments: aboriginal issues, economics, politics, human interest
– Excellent technical skills, creative camera angles, creative storytelling
– Exceptional online audience reach and interaction. Providing digital-first content, crowd sourcing, engaging with audience, generating viewership to our TV and online platforms.
– File for CBC’s The National, CBC News Network, World Report radio and i-Unit investigations
– Not only perform live hits into the shows, but also often do the technical set-up
Senior Researcher – CBC Television: George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight
September 2012 – April 2013
- Contacting celebrities’ family and friends to find the best videos to surprise our guests
- Helping prepare George with the most rare and specialized information about guests
- Creating clever ways to entertain our live audience for their in-studio experience
Reporter/Editor – CBC News – Hamilton
June – September 2012
Multimedia reporting, chasing, researching, writing for online news service.
Filmed and edited videos, created innovative and interactive multimedia treatments for stories.
Associate Producer – CBC Radio One – Toronto
July 2011 – 2012, on-call/freelance
Pitching story ideas, gathering and editing tape, booking guests, writing scripts for Toronto’s: Metro Morning, Here and Now & the national Syndication/Content League.
Reporter/Writer – CBC Music, The Tyee & Schema Magazine – Freelance articles: 2011 – 2012
Reporter & Copy Editor — IndigenousReporting.com, January – April, 2012
Multimedia project on health & suicide prevention in Stó:lō First Nation was nominated for a 2012 Canadian Online Publishing Award.
Reporter – CBC Radio One – The Story From Here; The Early Edition (Vancouver); and Daybreak North (North BC): On-air performance of talk-tapes and live commentary. Spring 2012.
Researcher – UBC International Reporting & The New York Times video department
September – December 2011 — “Damming the Amazon” documentary in Brazil
Production Intern – CBC Radio One – The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti
May – June 2011
Trained on Dalet Audio, iNews and GroupWise systems.
In-depth production assistance, chasing, producing of audio packages and conducting live-to-tape interviews with international guests.
Reporter & Copy Editor – UBC Graduation School of Journalism’s TheThunderbird.ca:
2010 – 2012
Numerous articles, including a feature article on “Aging in Vancouver,” which won silver in the 2011 Canadian Online Publishing Awards.
Host & Reporter – Rogers TV Toronto, Roots Music Canada & Frankcasting New Media:
2008 – 2011, freelance
Live on-air delivery of teleprompter reads, interviews and VOs for various programs
Researching, script writing and shot-list editing.
Host, Chase Producer, Reporter & News Writer – CIUT 89.5 FM:
Morning show co-host for a live two-hour news and current affairs show Take 5.
News writing, researching, guest booking, script writing, and live on-air delivery of news, interviews and discussion of current events on and off script for Take 5. Host of Beyond Borders, a political lecture series.
Videographer — SUN TV / TVA Nouvelles: , 2010
Shooting news stories, crime scenes, biographic profiles and Toronto’s G20 Summit
TELEVISION PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
ENG/EFP Camera Operator/Videographer:
Lighting, Audio, Video on Beta SX, Sony X.D and HD-DV Cameras
Freelance Employment, 2002-2011:
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE): Raptors NBA TV, Leafs TV, Air Canada Centre (ACC); Rogers Television; DreamWorks SKG / Warner Bros; Omni Television; i-Channel, Stornoway Communications; Westbury; Duocom; Odyssey Video Productions; Frankcasting New Media; Roots Music Canada; SUN TV, TVA Media Group, Quebecor Media Inc.
– 100+ Celebrity media junkets / press conferences Toronto International Film Festival
– 200+ Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors NBA games, court/ice level game coverage, locker room scrums, press conferences, team practices and special events.
– Flown to a James Bay native reserve to film a two-day documentary-style piece with NBA players for the Raptors’ Read to Achieve program.
– News coverage of Toronto’s 2010 G20 Summit protests and riots – shooting on wireless remote video to Live-Eye truck, live-to-tape reporter stand-ups and riot footage.
– Live performance of stand-ups, streeter interviews, some video hosting and voiceovers.
– Lighting, audio and shooting of interviews, b-roll footage, stand-ups, streeters, sequences, press conferences, crime scenes, concerts, lifestyle pieces, etc.
Technical Director / Floor Manager / Editor (AVID), Rogers Television: 2002-2006
Project Manager, CIUT 89.5 FM, UofT Community Radio Station Relocation, 2009.
Logistical coordination of relocation for 7 offices and 3 broadcast studios. Purchasing; hiring and supervision of 12 volunteers; liaison with architect, site crew, radio personnel.
Assistant Director – Swallowdale Camp, CISS.Huntsville,ON
Hiring, training and supervision of staff; programming development; coordination of camper airline schedules; and acting director when required for residential, ESL outdoor education program for international youth, January – August 2004
SOCIAL SERVICE EXPERIENCE
Radio Instructor: Lead radio skills workshops at CJSR community radio in Edmonton (2016 & 2017)
English Teacher: ESL teacher with private groups, including Syrian refugee families in Calgary (2016-2017); English teacher in Hong Kong (2008-2009).
Kickboxing Instructor: Lead women in Muay Thai kickboxing lessons at Sheshatshiu First Nation, 2014
Video Instructor and Report Contributor: “Me in Media” workshop fostering youth dialogue on media representations of ethnic diversity. September 2011
Sponsored by UNAM’s Multimedia + Multiculturalism and Schema Magazine.
Private Special Needs Social Worker
Life-skills coach and tutor for youth diagnosed with various neurobiological disorders including Williams and Asperger Syndromes, 1999 – 2007
– Travel Photography, independent travel throughout Latin America and Asia
– PADI certified Underwater Videographer
– Proficient with Social Media Tools: Instagram, Storify, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Vine, SnapChat, etc.
– Theatre Performance & Second City improvisation training
– Half-Marathon Running; Muay Thai Kickboxing; Yoga
– Valid Passport and Driver’s Licence
References available by request.